Effectiveness of Advertisements in India: An Empirical Study
Dalip Raina 1*, Kritika Khajuria 2
- Research Scholar, School of Business Economics, College of Management, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, Jammu & Kashmir, India
- MBA Final Year Student, School of Business, College of Management, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, Jammu & Kashmir, India
This paper explores the effectiveness of advertising in India in the current scenario. The study examines the motive behind purchase of a product, major component of the advertisement, and to what extent the advertisements carry a relevant and believable message. For this purpose, primary survey was done, and the data was collected from 220 respondents from Jammu with the help of a well-designed pre-tested structured questionnaire. The analysis concluded that there is a significant impact of advertisement on these parameters. The customers have a positive perception towards advertising as they find it more satisfactory to invest in a product after watching the advertisement. It is also concluded that the advertisements' messages should be relevant as consumers consider them while taking buying decisions.
Advertisement Effectiveness, Attitude, Consumer Awareness, Preference, Purchase Decision.
Full Text:| (PDF views: 8)
- Barker, M., and Churchill, G. (1977). “The Impact Of Physically Attractive Models On Advertising Evaluations.” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume 14, pp. 538-555.
- Bettman, J.R. and Sujan, M. (1987). “Effects Of Framing On Evaluation Of Comparable And Noncomparable Alternatives By Expert And Novice Consumers.” Journal of Consumer Research, Volume 14, pp. 141-154.
- Bishnoi, V. K. and Bharti (2008). “Awareness And Consumption Pattern Of Rural Consumers Towards Home And Personal Care Products.” Rural Marketing, Volume 60, pp. 03-016.
- Burke, M.C. and Edell, J.A. (1987). “Ad Reactions Over Time: Capturing Changes In The Real World.” Journal of Consumer Research, Volume 13, pp. 56-65.
- Baker, W.E. and Lutz, R.J. (2000). “An Empirical Test Of An Updated Relevance-Accessibility Model Of Advertising Effectiveness.” Journal of Advertising, Volume 29, Issue 1, pp. 1-14.
- Choi Ju, Young, Kim, Kyung Hee and Kim Mi Sook (2007). “Cosmetic Buying Patterns And Satisfaction Among Female University Students In China, Japan, And Korea.” Journal of the Korean society of Clothing and Textiles, Volume 31, Issue 12, pp. 1772-1783.
- Craik, F.I.M. and Lockhart, R.S. (1972). “Levels Of Processing: A Framework For Memory Research.” Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, Volume 11, Issue 6, pp. 671-84.
- Edell, J.A. and Burke, M.C. (1987). “The Power Of Feelings In Understanding Advertising Effects.” Journal of Consumer Research, Volume 14, Issue 3, pp. 421-33.
- Elberse, A. and Anand, B. N. (2006). “Advertising And Expectations: The Effectiveness Of Pre-Release Advertising For Motion.” Harvard Business School Working Paper Series, pp. 05-60.
- El-Omari, H. A. (1998), “Reasons And Forms Of Evaluating The Effectiveness Of Advertising In Case Of Chemical Industry In Jordan.” J. King. Soudi University, Volume 10, pp. 53-68.
- Garbarino, E.C. and Edell, J.A. (1997). “Cognitive Effort, Affect, And Choice.” Journal of Consumer Research, Volume 24, Issue 2, pp. 147-58.
- Haque, M., Tarofdar and Ismail (2005). “Internet Advertising In Malaysia: A Study Of Attitudinal Differences.” EJISDC, Volume 31, Issue 9, pp. 1-15.
- Kaur, H. and Kaur, R. (2002). “Fashion Awareness Among Rural And Urban Adolescents.” Journal of Social Research, Volume 43, Issue 1, pp. 37-40.
- Kotwal, Nidhi, Gupta, Neelima and Devi, Arjee (2008). “Impact Of Tv Advertisements On Buying Patterns Of Adolescent Girls.” Journal of Social Science, Volume 16, Issue 1, pp. 51-55.
- MacKenzie, S.B., Lutz, R.J. and Belch, G.E. (1986). “The Role Of Attitude Toward The Ad As A Mediator Of Advertising Effectiveness: A Test Of Competing Explanations.” Journal of Marketing Research, Volume 23, pp. 130-43.
- Mehta, A. (1994). “How Advertising Response Modeling (ARM) Can Increase Ad Effectiveness.” Journal of Advertising Research, Volume 34, pp. 62-74.
- Montigny, Michelle De, Havlena, Cardarelli and Eadie (2007) “Measuring The Effect Of Magazine Advertising And Synergies With Television And Online.” International Media and Arts Association Journal, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp. 322-333.
- Nizam F. (2005). “Measuring The Effectiveness Of Advertising In A Comparative Study Of A Recently Privatized And Foreign Bank In Pakistan.” accessed at http//:www.pafkiet.edu.pk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ZsL3G8pXYXcper cent3D&tabid.pdf on March 17, 2010.
- Owolabi, A. B. (2009). “Effects Of Consumer Mood On Advertising Effectiveness.” Europe's Journal of Psychology, Volume 4, pp. 118-127.
- Synder M. and Rothbart M. (1971). “Communicator Attractiveness And Opinion Change.” Canadian Journal of the Behavioral Sciences, Volume 38, pp. 377-387.
- Sachar, R. and Anand, B. N (1998). “The Effectiveness And Targeting Of Television Advertising.” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Volume 7, Issue 3, pp. 363-396.
- Tripathi, S. N. and Siddiqui, M. (2008). “Effectiveness Of Mobile Advertising.” Vikalpa : The Journal For Decision Makers, Volume 33, Issue 4, pp. 47-59.
- Tripathi, S. N. and Mittal, M. (2007). 'Investigating The Impact Of Mobile Marketing In The Current Scenario And Proposing Customerization As A Solution', at http:// www.iitk.ac.in/.../Marketing,per cent20Financeper cent20andper cent20Internationalper cent20Strategy-03-.pdf. accessed on February 27, 2010.
- There are currently no refbacks.