“The Heart” Movie Poster
You are a graphic designer working for one of the large movie studios in Los Angeles. The studio is planning to release a film called “The Heart” this summer targeted to a variety of audiences. The studio needs ideas for this film, as well as designs for the posters used to advertise them.
The theme of this movie is open to your own interpretation. Anything goes (ie: horror, romantic, comedy, adventure, sci-fi, etc), the goal is to convey an idea of what the movie is about and to invoke interest in the viewer. You may use whatever style as well, painting, illustration, photography, photo manipulation, etc, or combinations of all. Our project is to design an original movie poster for the movie “The Heart.”
Students will develop their compositional/layout skills by applying visual hierarchy principles to both imagery and typography components.
1. Get inspired and research movie posters on the Internet. Look at the different components movie posters provide.
2. Start brainstorming for your Poster. Determine the movie genre, actors/actresses, movie rating, credits, tagline, images/graphics, etc.
3. Develop a proposal on a sheet of paper that contains:
- Plot Summary: Plan out the basic parts of your film before starting your design. One paragraph including Genre, Title, Tag Line, Plot, Rating, Opening Date, and Characters. List the credits for your film.
- Sketches: Draw 3 sketches to brainstorm ideas and layouts.
- Inspiration: Include three movie posters that you like that are in your movie poster genre.
4. Start developing your movie poster in Photoshop.
5. Create a new 11×14 canvas that is 300ppi and in CMYK color mode.
6. Create and Design. Use the requirements below to make sure you include all of the necessary components:
- imagery you develop in Photoshop must help support the idea behind the movie
- movie title
- tag line –(provides more information on the movie besides the title alone)
- opening movie date
- Actors & Actresses (at least 2)
- Credit / Billing block
- Studio Logo (Paramount Logo provided)
- MPAA rating (G, PG, PG-13, R – provided)
7. Save the project, with layers, as a Photoshop .psd called: MoviePoster_(YourInitials)
8. Flatten the file and save it as a .JPG for submission.
Create Custom Movie Posters for Free with Adobe Spark
Make unique movie posters in minutes. No design skills needed.Design your own movie poster now
The poster that accompanies a movie is often one of the key marketing tools used for online and offline promotion. Professional, engaging and eye-catching, the poster must describe the movie concisely — often with very few words. Adobe Spark can be used as a movie poster maker without the need for technical knowledge or advanced design skills. Using just a mouse and your computer, you can create stunning movie posters that will attract the attention of your audience.
Kickstart your next movie project in minutes
A straightforward design interface keeps everything as simple as possible. Start with a movie poster template and make changes to its design in line with the overall theme of your film. This is your opportunity to create something a professional designer would be proud of, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
Design a bespoke movie poster that tells a story
When you make your own movie poster, you need to be sure that it is a true reflection of the art you’ve created. It’s also a good idea to ensure it is completely unique. Thanks to the wide range of customization options available with Adobe Spark, you can describe the tone and content of your movie according to what will resonate with your target audience. With the stroke of a key or a click of a mouse, you can make instant changes to colors, backgrounds, images and text.
Get your project started by giving it a title. The text you enter at the beginning of the process will form the basis of your initial design. But this powerful movie poster generator allows you to change the text at any time. With just a few clicks of a mouse, you can have a fantastic movie poster the big studios would be proud of.
Create a professional movie poster for free
Adobe Spark allows you to perform the job of a professional design service — and it doesn’t cost you a cent to use. This easy-to-use movie poster creator offers a wide range of design tools that allow you to create something that wouldn’t look out of place in theaters. Without any knowledge of coding or digital design, you can remain in charge of the design process. Use this free movie poster maker in your own home but create designs the experts would be proud to call their own.
Making custom movie posters has never been this easy. All you need is a computer, an Internet connection and your own creativity.
How to make a movie poster
Pick a size and shapeThere are several sizes to choose from when you make a movie poster with Adobe Spark. Just click the “Layout” link at the top of the design page and choose from the selection available — “Portrait” is ideal for the creation of movie posters.
Choose a themeGiving your movie poster a theme will give your potential audience an idea of what they can expect. Click the “Design” link and choose from a wide selection of pre-designed themes.
Tell a story with imagesThe images on your movie poster are crucial in telling people what your film is about. Add your own images or select from a range of free options on the Internet by clicking the “+” symbol above the preview panel.
Describe with engaging textAs well as adding the title of your movie, you may also want to add details such as credits, a release date and a brief synopsis. You can do all of this by clicking the “Text” link at the top of the page.
Download, share, or printOnce you’re completely happy with the design you’ve created, download it for use later, share it immediately via Twitter or Facebook, or print it and display it in public.
More Spark movie poster examplesCreate your movie poster now
Choose from a variety of free professionally designed fonts for every occasion.
Select from thousands of photos on the web or pick from your personal collections on Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Lightroom, Dropbox or Google Photos.
Explore our wide variety of best-in-class layouts, colors, and fonts. Easily tweak them with the text, photos, and icons that best fit your needs.
More related designs
Copyright © 2017 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.