15 Accounting Research Paper Topic Ideas That Will Get You Inspired
One of the biggest challenges to writing your research paper is choosing the topic that will really motivate and inspire you, one that your passion shines through. One great way of choosing the ultimate topic is to browse through lists of ideas. The following list of 15 ideas for topics will give you a starting place to come up with your own unique and brilliant topic.
- Auditing – within this category you could choose to go with something general and give an overview, or settle on something more specific. Focusing on details would narrow the scope of your paper but give more depth. Either choice works well.
- Cash flow – a key area of accounting, you could write a paper on how it has changed and evolved over time, and how it can be improved in the future, especially with a developing economy.
- Debt management – this can play a serious role in the present as well as in future years. What are some of the problems that can be avoided in the future; what are some of the current problems that need to be resolved?
- Financial markets – stocks, commodities and currencies all play a role in the world economy yet many people still misunderstand them. How can accountants help to raise awareness and understanding?
- Personal finances – what are the advantages for hiring accountants to do personal financial reports? In what ways can they help the individual person or the small business owner? What role can they play in the economy?
- Payroll accounting – managing many persons on a payroll can be confusing and complicated. How can accountants help the process take place more smoothly and accurately?
- Tax – a topic everyone seems to be interested in. It is a legal obligation; how can individuals and corporations become more organized and know the current tax laws?
- Managerial accounting – how to help managers make better decisions based on the information they have in regards to their company’s accounting?
- Organisational culture – how does the culture of an organisation affects its procedures for accountancy?
- How do poor methods in accounting cause a business to lose profits?
- Should people who prepare tax forms for individuals be required to have certification and licensure?
- What role does technology play in accounting?
- Discuss a commonly known accounting method used in business. What are its strengths and weaknesses?
- Discuss a current event involving accounting. Find an interesting angle to explore.
- How can small businesses better employ accounting methods to benefit their bottom line?
20 great accounting topics for your research paper
- Auditing collusion. This topic can cover auditing in general or a specific area of auditing depending on the expertise you have and the scope of your particular essay.
- Earnings management
- Cash flow. How has this changed with time?
- The use of internet based accountants
- Offshore accounting
- History of accounting
- The best accounting practices
- Becoming a certified accountant
- Historical accounting practices
- Accounting and modern technology
- Accounting software
- Accounting ethics
- Tax. You can write about how organizations reduce the taxes they have to pay or how individuals might pay more than they need because they don’t understand the tax code.
- Financial markets. You can write about commodities or stocks. You can write about the role played by financial markets in the bigger global economy. You can write about how few people understand this and why. Write about what issues this raises and what can be done about it.
- Accounting information systems. Write about the rapid flow of information and what it does for modern accountants.
- Managerial accounting. How can managers use accounting information to make better decisions?
- Personal finances. What benefits can individuals get from hiring personal accountants? Is it better overall?
- Debt management. This is a serious issue and what can be done to fix it for the future and stop problems before they happen?
- What influence does the culture or an organization have on accounting?
- What influence does culture of an organization have on the accounting procedures it uses?
When you do sit down to write your final paper there are a few stylistic components and format components about which you should know:
- When you write your research paper make sure to use past tense unless you are referring to an established fact.
- Organize one idea for each major paragraph. If you have four main ideas you want to present then you will need four main paragraphs in the body of your essay.
- Only present background information as it is necessary. Make sure all of the background information you present is needed to support the position you are taking.
- State your hypothesis in a clear and concise manner.
- Make sure to check your spelling and word choice.
Chances are that you will have to format the paper in APA and include the following sections:
- Cover page
- Literature review